In Episode 4 of the YouTube Series “The Lost Tapes”, powered by Stoiximan, Vassilis Skountis sits down with the “Rambo” of Greek basketball, George Sigalas, reminiscing the Golden era of Greek Basketball, facing off against Reggie Miller, his attempt to get drafted by an NBA franchise and his battles with fellow Greek forward Nikos Economou for many years!
Watch the full interview here: https://youtu.be/m9ALrYJP2fk
George Sigalas was one of the best European defensive players of his generation. During the decade of the 1990s, he was the team captain of Greek powerhouse Olympiacos B.C. and also of the senior Greek national team, helping the reds win a EuroLeague title in 1997, while making two more EuroLeague Finals appearances, in 1994 and 1995.
A member of the junior national teams of Greece, he played at the
1990 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship, and at the 1992 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship, where he won a silver medal.
With the senior Greek national team, he competed in six consecutive EuroBasket tournaments, (1993, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, and 2003), and he made it to the semifinals on the first three occasions. He was also instrumental on the Greek teams that made the semifinals of both the 1994 FIBA World Championship and the 1998 FIBA World Championship, as well as on Greece’s team that finished in fifth place at the 1996 Summer Olympic Games.
His many accolades include the following:
- 5× consecutive Greek League Champion: (1993–1997)
- 5× consecutive Greek League Finals MVP: (1993–1997)
- 2× Greek Cup Winner: (1994, 1997)
- 7× Greek All-Star Game: (1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002)
- EuroLeague All-Final Four Team: (1994)
- FIBA European Selection: (1995)
- FIBA EuroStar: (1996)
- Greek League MVP: (1996)
- EuroLeague Champion: (1997)
- Triple Crown Winner: (1997)
- Acropolis Tournament MVP: (1999)
Sigalas is currently the assistant coach of Ilias Kantzouris, for Greek Basket League club Kolossos of Rhodes.
Four-time FIBA EuroStar selection Nikos Oikonomou started
his playing career with the Greek club Ionikos Nikaias and from 1991 to 1998, he was a member of the Greek club Panathinaikos B.C., winning the EuroLeague championship, the Greek Cup, and the FIBA
Intercontinental Cup alongside NBA great Dominique Wilkins, all in the same year. He was the Greek League’s Top Scorer, in the 2004–05 season and a longtime member of the senior men’s Greek national team.
- 1989 FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship: Gold
- 1989 FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship: All-Tournament Team
- 1989 FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship: MVP
- 1992 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship: Silver
- 2× Greek Cup Winner: (1993, 1996)
- 6× Greek League All-Star: (1996, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006)
- EuroLeague Champion: (1996)
- FIBA Intercontinental Cup Champion: (1996)
- 4× FIBA EuroStar: (1996, 1997, 1998, 1999)
- 2× Greek League Champion: (1998, 1999)
- Greek League Top Scorer: (2005)
- Greek League Best Five: (2005)
Economou is currently a basketball coach and runs Basket4All, a basketball camp for young children while he was crowned Greek 2nd Division Champion in 2017 with Panionios B.C.
Stay tuned for more episodes from “The Lost Tapes” coming soon…!
Keep up with all products, blog posts and news posted on our website.